Fall Prevention Checklist For Older Adults
- Always clear walk paths & repair as needed to prevent falls/trips.
- Inspect & repair stairs or any uneven area or change in height for safety & install rails or handrails.
- Install non-skid material in high water areas such as bathtub or shower & non-skid material under rugs.
- Remove throw rugs unless small & used in high water traffic areas & they should be secured in the corners & have non-skid material underneath to prevent slips & trips.
- Install color contrast at top & bottom or stairs or at change in height of flooring.
- Install adequate lighting in all areas of home indoors & outdoors & use nightlights in walk path from bedroom to bathroom & to kitchen.
- Install grab bars or hand rails in bathroom for safety getting in/out of tub/shower.
- Use equipment in bathroom where needed over toilet or in shower or tub for safety & assistance in transfers.
- Have a physical therapy evaluation for fall prevention or home safety assessment for any needed equipment for gait or to assist in making other activities easier & safer.
- Use a cane or walker for ambulation if you have balance problems or weakness.